Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Starting a food blog

I'm burnt out, lacking in creativity and inspiration. I start to dread making dinner when I first wake up in the morning. This is why I am starting a food blog. About a year and a half ago I was finding it difficult to find meaning in my everyday life as a stay at home mom. At the suggestion of a friend, I started a blog chronicling my family's daily activities. It really helped me to see the bigger picture, to link one day to the next and one week to the next and to put together a story about my life and the life I am providing for my kids. Most importantly, it helped me to step back and plan a variety of activities to help make their lives more well rounded. I could see what was missing and what we did too often. It gave me the ability to reflect on each experience and find the positive elements we took away from it.

When the boys were babies (they are now 5 1/2 and 2), I breastfed them well into toddlerhood. I pureed their babyfood from organic fruits and vegetables. Tofu, tahini and nutritional yeast were some of their first obsessions. Sometime in the past year, though not sure when, I let things go. Pizza, macaroni and cheese, hamburgers, ice cream, candy, pretzels and chips, popsicles, cereal, quesadillas, etc. on a regular basis. We are grumpy and the television is on more often. DH has a new job. He's now gone before the kids are up in the morning and is home just in time to tuck them into bed. The pay is significantly less, making the dinner challenge not only a health issue, but a budget issue as well.

I hope with this blog, that will chronicle the meals I prepare and buy for my family, to reteach myself the art of meal planning, to try new foods and recipes and reflect on what worked and what didn't, and to see the big picture of what we are really eating on a daily basis. I hope this blog will motivate me to put more effort into meal preparation and to have more fun with it. I invite suggestions and comments from friends, family and readers, because it truly does take a village!

No comments:

Post a Comment